Sunday, March 29, 2009

March 29, 2009

I made a set of felted bowls this week. Each in a different size. Crocheted them starting with a small circle. I will try to explain:

Materials: Wool yarn 100%
my wool is worsted wt
Crochet hook sizeG
small scrap of yarn

Chain 2
Rd 1: make 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook.

Rd 2: make 2sc in each chain around

Rd 3: sc in next 2 sc, than make 2sc in next sc. Repeat around.

Continue Rd 3 until you have your desired sized base not joining each round but working in a spiral moving a stitch marker up each round. I just use a small scrap piece of yarn for a marker.

Once your base is the size you like. (for small bowl about 6" across) you are ready to make the sides.

Next Rd: Sc in each sc around only in the FRONT LOOP of each sc. This will make an angle in your bowl

Next Rd: Sc in each sc around until bowl is the desired height (for small bowl about 4" tall).

Next Rd: Sc in next 5 sc, sc 2 sc together.(Pull up 1 loop in next two stitches and sc them together) Repeat for one round.

Next Rd: sc in each sc around.

Voila! You have a bowl. Now go felt it! You can use coffee cans or bowls from your kitchen to shape the bowl while it dries after felting.

I hope you enjoy this pattern. If you have any questions or concerns please contact mel

-Jill

April 10, 2009

I have made several of these now and have found a better method:

after fifth inc round alternate inc round with a sc round. This seems to create better shape to the bowl. Please feel free to leave comments or any suggestions. Thankyou, Jill

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jill,

    I have made the bowl by the pattern, but didn't notice the update until later. I haven't felted it yet. The base of the bowl is really curled.... do you think it'll straighten out during felting and blocking? I'll rip it apart and start over if I must, but thought I'd check with you first!!

    Thanks,
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jill,
    I'm struggling with the second to last round of your pattern.
    Please could you explain this a bit further?
    I'm making this for Christmas as a present, so I would really appreciate to hear fronm you soon, if at all possible.

    Many thanks,
    Henny

    ReplyDelete